Why Is Childcare Insurance Important?
Whether you operate a small in-home daycare or a large childcare center with a large staff and facility, protecting your business is extremely important. With the right daycare insurance, you'll protect not only your livelihood but also the little ones you're entrusted to care for while in your care. The experts at Rumlin Insurance Agency will assist you in finding the best coverage at the right price.
What Is Daycare Insurance and Who Needs It in Jacksonville?
Insurance for daycare centers uniquely caters to the needs of the specific childcare business. It provides business owners with daycare liability insurance and business property coverage. Childcare insurance takes business insurance coverage and allows daycares to build an insurance policy based on their unique needs.
In order to be licensed and legally operate, owners of childcare facilities in Florida are required to carry daycare liability insurance by the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Along with the DHHS's strict guidelines, your insurance company may have more substantial requirements in order to limit your exposure to liability lawsuits.
If you're running a home-based daycare business, your homeowners' insurance policy may require a business insurance policy or specific endorsements. Determining the proper coverages. for your home and business is critical. If your insurer discovers you're operating your business out of your house without home daycare insurance, they can refuse to renew your policy.
Daycare Businesses and Liability Insurance
Liability lawsuits are all too common for businesses today, and childcare businesses are no exception. If your daycare faces a liability lawsuit, the legal defense costs can be staggering, even if charges get dropped.
Liability insurance provides coverage for any court costs and legal fees associated with any covered event. These coverages can include:
- General Liability Insurance
- Necessary for any business that welcomes the public onto its property
- Provides coverage for property damage and injuries suffered by third-parties while they are on your property
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Covers your teachers and childcare workers
- Covers your business if sued due to a staff member showing negligence to a child’s needs or safety
- Commercial Auto Liability Insurance
- Required if your daycare has company-owned vehicles that are used to transport children to and from schools
- Non-owned or For-Hire Auto Liability Insurance
- Coverage for privately owned vehicles while they’re being used for company business
- Corporal Punishment Liability Insurance
- Financial protection coverage if your business faces a claim due to an employee striking a child or being accused of administering corporal punishment
- Abuse and Molestation Liability Insurance
- Protection from severe financial losses due to a daycare employee who turns out to be sexually or otherwise abusive
- Umbrella Liability Insurance
- Additional liability coverage beyond the limits of your insurance policy’s liability limits
Additional Insurance Options for Daycares
Rumlin Insurance Agency works with our carriers to provide additional daycare insurance options that are beneficial to our customers:
- Field Trip Insurance
- Liability and property damage coverage while providing off-site childcare services.
- Special Events Liability Insurance
- One-time liability insurance coverage during special events hosted by your facility, like holiday parties, fundraisers, or pageants.
- Lost Income Insurance
- Continuation of income for employee salaries and monthly expenses if your facility is forced to temporarily close due to a covered incident.
- Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- Medical coverage for your employees if they are injured on the job.
- Many insurers allow workers' compensation coverage to be added as a supplement to daycare insurance policies.
What Property Insurance Is Available for Childcare Businesses?
Keeping children active and entertained throughout the day requires a lot of equipment. If this equipment is lost or damaged, it can be very costly to repair or replace. A daycare insurance policy can provide compensation if your business property is lost or damaged.
Your insurance coverage needs may vary depending on if you're operating in-home versus out. Coverages may include:
- Building Coverage
- Coverage for damages, including those caused by fire, severe weather, falling objects, and property crimes to the business building's structure. Damages caused by floods may require additional insurance.
- Rented business space may not require this insurance coverage.
- In-home childcare businesses may require a small rider to your homeowners’ insurance policy.
- Content Coverage
- Coverage for indoor items used for childcare purposes, like cribs, toys, books, sound systems, and electronics damaged or lost due to fire, extreme weather, vandalism, or theft.
- Outdoor Equipment Coverage
- While most insurers cover outdoor equipment, including swing sets, sandboxes, and sports equipment under the contents coverage, some may require a separate endorsement.
Why Should You Choose Rumlin Insurance Agency for Daycare Insurance?
Our agents understand the specialized insurance needs of childcare facilities - small, medium, and large. They will guide you through the process of getting your business properly insured. Rumlin Insurance agents are part of the Jacksonville community and understand your business protects our communities' smallest members. Let Rumlin Insurance Agency protect your business!
If you’re shopping for daycare insurance, we’d love to hear from you! We can help you find and purchase an appropriate childcare insurance policy.
We’re glad to speak with you about daycare insurance and to answer all your questions too. For a free insurance quote, call Rumlin Insurance Agency today at (904) 764-1753. Or for a free online daycare insurance quote fill out the form.